Monday, November 15, 2010

Gyro Hut

I decided to review another Greek restaurant. This time, I ventured to Gyro Hut in West Hempstead. It's located on Hempstead Tpke., right across the street from another awesome food spot, Taco King (review to come in the near future). The place is rather small, stuck in between a Dunkin' Donuts and a Real Estate office. Don't let the size fool you, its a real gem.

This was my second time visiting Gyro Hut. I went with three friends for lunch, eager to dig into some great Greek fare. I decided to order a Gyro platter, and split an appetizer of Falafel with my friend. The platter also came with a drink, so I got a raspberry Snapple. We slid some tables together, and sat down to wait for our food.  The wait was short.

My Gyro platter came with a Greek Salad, which came out almost immediately after my order was placed. The lettuce was crisp and tasted very fresh, and the feta had that perfect amount of saltiness to it. They also give you some Greek salad dressing (which seemed to consist of oil, vinegar, and onions). Next, our appetizer of Falafel came out. I'm not gonna lie...the Falafel balls looked like turds on a bed of lettuce. Not very appetizing. Once I dipped one in the hummus and popped it into my mouth, my thoughts of fecal matter dissipated. They were perfectly crunchy and absolutely amazing.

I opted to get a side of lemon potatoes with my gyro platter. Their french fries are home made, seasoned, and very delicious. However, I wanted to try the potatoes as I have never had them before. The waiter brought out my platter, and much to my dismay, there were fries on it. I had to send it back to get potatoes instead. The food actually took quite some time to come back. I worked on the Falafel appetizer in the meantime.

Once my food came back, I eagerly feasted on this amazing Greek classic. The platter had a large serving of sliced and seasoned lamb meat, several slices of pita bread, a whole potato sliced in two, and a side of tzaziki sauce. The first thing I tried was the lemon potato. It was perfectly cooked, and melted in my mouth. The sourness of the lemon complimented the starchiness of the potato nicely.

My only complaint was the lack of pita slices for the gyro meat. It was a huge serving of meat and not enough bread to put it on. When I asked for more pita bread, the waiter told me it costs extra. After spending about $15 on this meal I decided to go ahead and say no to this. I ended up just finishing the meat by eating it like a finger food.

 Falafel Appetizer (Homemade fries can be seen in background)

Gyro Platter mmmmmmmmm

THE LOVERDICT

Moderately priced, really tasty Greek classics served..... but life changing? I would have to say no. Would I recomend it? Absolutely.  However, I wouldn't make a long trip to go out and try Gyro Hut. If you live within a half hours distance, go ahead and check it out. You won't be disappointed.

Gyro Hut
461 Hempstead Tpke.
West Hempstead, NY 11552

(516) 489-8989

No comments:

Post a Comment