Monday, November 15, 2010

Cherry Valley: Heaven Between Two Slices of Bread



If you're a resident of New York, you absolutely have to try Cherry Valley at least once in your life. There are two locations: one in Queens County (Whitestone) and one in Nassau County (West Hempstead). The first time I ever tried Cherry Valley was several years ago with a co-worker of mine. We got really stoned and went to the Whitestone location. I remember we split a Beast (Chicken cutlet, bacon, swiss cheese, onion rings, on a toasted garlic hero). The Beast is one of over 100 different types of sandwiches you can get at this wonderful establishment.

The menu spans the entire deli counter (which is exceptionally large). Besides offering sandwiches, Cherry Valley is also a small convenience store/supermarket. There are many different fridges stocked with a plethora of beverages. They also have many different kinds of snacks and munchies if you are so inclined. They also deliver, but I don't live close enough to take advantage of this service.

My friend Mary and I went to the West Hempstead location before starting the day's errands. It's not in the nicest neighborhood, but during the day it's fine. Make sure to pack some heat for late night trips. 

The menu can be a little overwhelming and intimidating. Patrons can be seen staring wide-eyed and amazed by the different types of sandwiches they offer. I spent between 5 and 10 minutes deciding what I wanted. I finally composed myself and approached the counter. I opted for an "Old Navy" (Grilled roast beef, melted American cheese, brown gravy) on a toasted roll. The heroes are huge, so unless you're splitting one with a friend or got extremely wasted, I would go with a roll, which is still very filling. My friend Mary got a "Last Call" (chicken cutlets, mushrooms, brown gravy, mozzarella cheese) on a toasted garlic roll. As you can see from the pictures below, the sandwiches look amazing.

 Just a part of the massive menu

My "Old Navy" was orgasmic. The mixture of melted American cheese, warm gravy, and tender roast beef teased my taste buds to the point of explosion in my pants. I didn't get to try Mary's sandwich but from the look on her face I could tell she was happy with her choice. We shared a tin of "Screamin' Dill Pickle" Pringles. If you like pickles, I highly recommend these chips. They taste exactly like a fuckin' dill pickle!  My Pomegranate Raspberry Snapple was pleasant, with the perfect amount of bite and sweetness to it.


Look at this amazing sandwich.... LOOK AT IT!  Old Navy on a roll

Mary's Last Call on a roll

THE LOVERDICT:

I left Cherry Valley with a smile on my face, a full belly, and a cigarette in hand. All in all, the meal was very satisfying. If you're a New Yorker, go and check it out.

Cherry Valley Deli and Grill- Whitestone
12-29 150th St.
Whitestone, NY 11357
(718) 767-1937

Chery Valley Deli and Grill- West Hempstead
168 Hempstead Tpke.
West Hempstead, NY 11552
(516) 292- 3381

www.cherryvalleydeli.net

4 comments:

  1. The barbecue sauce is different at the Whitestone location.....so lovers of the Corona beware

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ALWAYS PACK HEAT SO GOING AT NIGHT SHOULDNT BE A PROBLEM!

    GOOD POST!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that co-worker of yours sounds like an awesome guy

    ReplyDelete
  4. i could go for cherry valley right now. so hard.

    ReplyDelete