Monday, November 15, 2010

Call of Duty Black Ops: FPS Amazingness



I have decided to venture away from the world of food and talk about the newest Call of Duty game. I picked it up for Playstation 3 the day it came out. I could of went to Gamestop for the midnight release, but decided that waiting in line with hundreds of nerds in the freezing cold wasn't a great idea. I went to pick up my reserve the next morning, waited in line for about 5 minutes and drove home eager to play it.

While Call of Duty has been known for its epic single player campaigns, multi-player is really where it's at. I dove right into the multi-player. While many of the features are more or less the same as in Modern Warfare 2, there are a TON of new ones to take advantage of. First off, I noticed that the level cap is now at 50 instead of 70. At the time of writing this entry, I am now level 42 with around 16 hours played. I also believe there are 15 levels of prestige now. I highly doubt I will ever spend that much time trying to prestige 15 times. I will more than likely be bored with the game after 2 or 3 prestige achievements. 


One big difference players will notice is the currency system in this game. You earn currency for completing matches and doing different things like contracts (goals you can purchase to get achievements that will earn you more currency). The only annoying thing is that currency is used on everything, from weapons, to perks, and even on designing emblems or a clan tag. I opt to save my currency up, because I feel it can be pointless to upgrade certain weapons when you will be getting a better one in the near future.

Modern Warfare 2 let players customize their player card's background and emblem. This time around there are a ton of different options to design your own unique background and emblems. For example, my friend Evan's emblem is a silhouette of a man pointing a gun at a small rabbit with a question mark above it's head. You can get very creative. While the backgrounds cannot be customized, there are a ton of different pre-made ones to choose from.

The game is set during the 1960's so expect your usual fair of M16's, AK47's and the like. The weapons are highly detailed and can be modded with several different kinds of attachments. Silencers to double ammo clips can be added to your weapons, and will provide positive and/or negative effects to your weapon. Camo can also be purchased for your guns, and now you don't have to go through the stupid headshot challenges to unlock them.  You can also apply your clan tag or emblem to your gun, which looks very cool in the game. The targeting reticles of your guns can also be fully customized.

Among the standard team death match, capture the flag, and other familiar COD game modes, Treyarch (the makers of this installment) has added several new game modes this time around. 'Wager matches' are one of them. You can bet a certain amount of your multiplayer currency to place within the top 3 players of a match. If you do, you will win extra currency. Taking inspiration from the online PC game Counterstrike, they have also included something called 'Gun Game.' Players start with the weakest pistol and a knife, and get better weapons as they rack up kills. If you get knifed, you get demoted down to the previously weaker weapon.

There are around nine different maps to play on in multi-player. There is a nuclear test sight (aptly named Nuketown), a large oil platform, and a Vietnamese jungle.  My personal favorites are Jungle and Nuketown. Jungle has a very cool design and offers players many different areas to hide in and take cover under. Nuketown is all about straight up mayhem. It is a very small map with two residential homes, split up by a street with several cars on it. You can easily get kills by simply starting a match with a grenade toss over the house in front of you.

The single player clocks in at around 6-7 hours. I actually completed the campaign yesterday and was very satisfied with it. You get to play as a special operative named "Mason" who works for the US government. Set during the 1960's, you are sent to various locations around the world such as Cuba, the USSR, and even Vietnam.

There are some very cool moments: you get to pilot a Hind attack helicopter and rain destruction down on "charlie". You also get to take off in an SR-71 Blackbird recon aircraft  and help guide a group of operatives on the ground using a infrared scope.  (For those of you who are not familiar with this plane, I have included a picture of one. The U.S. military used them for high altitude recon missions. The pilots basically wore spacesuits because they were on the very edge of our earth's atmosphere)
SR-71 Blackbird

Back again is also the very popular "Zombies" mode where players either go solo or group up with other players to defeat waves of oncoming zombies and escape their gruesome deaths.

THE LOVERDICT

I can go on and on about how awesome this game is, but I'm sure no one wants to read a 10 page review, haha. However, this game does have its flaws. The multi-player  seems to have some lag issues. I'd say between 20 and 30% of the matches I play are pretty laggy. I have also seen some graphical errors in both the single and multiplayer modes. Hopefully Treyarch will be patching these issues soon.

I highly recommend this game to any first person shooter fans out there. You can get it on PS3, Xbox 360, Wii and PC from your local electronic or video game retailer. If you have PS3 and want to add me, my PSN name is BiggsV.  See all you noobs out there.

P.S.
Sorry for the sudden influx of posts folks. Due to my move into a new home and adjusting to my new job I have been extremely busy. Expect more Loverdicts regularly and spaced out more evenly. Thank you all for waiting patiently, I hope I didn't disappoint anyone. : D

No comments:

Post a Comment