Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Today's Lunch: Kalamaki - Where Meat Meets Grill



October 19th, 2010.

I have yet again ate some of the best Greek food I have ever experienced.

Today marked the third time my co-workers and I have decided to order from this small Greek place nestled in the quaint town of Roslyn, NY. Suggested by a co-worker who brought the menu into work several weeks ago, we decided to try it. The close by local Greek joint sucks balls. Greasy, unappealing gyros made me want to never eat one again. Overpriced and just plain shitty at Mykonos, we decided to give Kalamaki a whirl.

The menu was very streamlined and the combo platters with price and choice of food items was very appealing. For $8.95, I was able to get a lamb gyro, seasoned french fries, and my choice of a can of soda. The gyro was fucking amazing. Well cooked and not greasy at all lamb combined with an awesome tzaziki sauce (the dill was very prominent) and very refreshing lettuce and tomato, this gyro was heaven in a pita.

Anyways, let me get to the main point of this entry. What I ordered today from Kalamaki topped even their previously amazing gyro. For a mere $5 dollars (you can't even get a shit ass combo at McDonald's for this price folks), I was able to get a Greek Spread Sampler.

Served with warm slices of pita bread, were three different types of spreads.The Tzaziki (made with Greek yogurt, cucumbers, dried mint leaves, garlic, and olive oil) tasted extremely fresh and creamy. The hummus (chickpeas, fresh garlic, lemon juice, sea salt, spicy peas, and spring onion) had a great texture and I could definitely taste the hints of garlic and onion in it. Finally, the Kopanisti (which I never had before and was made of spicy whipped feta, roasted peppers, and pickled vegetables) was quite the experience. The saltiness of the feta combined with the spiciness of the peppers and pickled veggies was an excellent addition to this sampler.

As you can see in the picture above, this is no meager amount of food. I was full half way through the sampler and took the rest home with me.

THE LOVERDICT:
Definitely try this place out if you're ever on the North Shore of Long Island. Delicious Greek fare combined with some great pricing, has made this a new favorite of mine. Highly recommended to all. If you'd like to try it out here's the info on the place:

Kalamaki - Where meat meets grill
1380 Old Northern Blvd.
Roslyn, NY 11576
(516) 625-GYRO (4976)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roslyn-Heights-NY/Kalamaki/104239562941494

2 comments:

  1. Dear LoVerdict,

    Thanks for the informative post. I was curious about this place and after reading your review, decided to give it a shot. After this first time, I feel that I will be a long-time customer.

    Much appreciate, and I look forward to next post,

    Paul C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog and am going to try Scotto's next time I'm in westbury
    Laurene M

    ReplyDelete